Friday, September 21, 2007

First Week Down - Physical Therapy and Finishing a Chapter

This is the first week after my hip surgery - and it hasn't been all that bad. :-) I had the surgery last Thursday and headed back to work w/crutches on Monday. Since I had just given my notice at my place of employment, I really didn't want to miss any work. I have to say - I wasn't all that productive - not that I didn't want to be, the drugs made it hard to focus. There were also times I've spaced out (sometimes in mid-sentence) and couldn't remember what I was talking about. I'm assuming that is resulting from the pain killers. I've also had a few restless nights because of the pain medication, but other than that, I can't complain.
Well - I could, a little. It's hard to get around in those crutches! While I've mastered the art of maneuvering on the dang things - it simply gets tiring when you are on them for long periods of time. Take for instance yesterday. I decided that I needed to run a few errands after work but before meeting a few friends. I had an hour to do a couple of exchanges at Macy's. A shirt in the men's section for Mark and some lotion in the women's section. At Ridgedale the men's section however is in a completely different section of the mall from the women's. Providing I had at least another stop outside of the mall to make - I needed to haul ass. I had sweat pouring down my sides and back. Nice. Made my exchanges and then hurried over to my next stop - circled my way around the store, an item here - an item there - oh and yeah, I really need one of those too! Hmmm, do you need some help carrying those? No? Let's see you juggle those items to the counter. I'm sure someone got their humor for the day. I finally made it the car and was in need of a fresh shirt - literally. Luckily I had an extra one. Sweet! So I changed there in the parking lot. :-)

I had my first physical therapy appointment and am rather pleased. I got to ride on the bike for about 10 minutes. Not a great deal of pain - I classify it as discomfort. The RX is to bike at home (in my trainer) for at least a minimum of 10 minutes per day to assist with keeping the joint mobile. In a week I should be able to swim as much as I want - I just need to get clearance from Doc Larson who I see on Tuesday. Can't wait to get started down the road to recovery!

Today was my last day in my job - and next wed. I begin anew. I'm looking forward to learning a new place, meeting new people. Meeting new people is always a challenge for me though - not sure why. I try to push outside of my comfort zone. Perfect example was at Ironman Wisconsin. I inadvertently found myself meeting up with some of bloggers when I was trying to locate Tac Boy to wish him good luck. Since I was there - I got to meet Jumper but we had emailed each other a few times, so meeting him was somehow "safe." I mustered up enough courage to walk over and introduce myself to a couple whom I had just stumbled across their blogs. They were from one my old haunts, Janesville, Wisconsin. Velo Bela and BigMike are are also relatively new to the sport of multi sport, who from the sounds of it - might have just got bitten by the Ironman bug. :-) Anyway - we chatted a bit while Mark lingered and then I politely made my exit from the group. Big step for me. Not sure if it showed - but somehow I survived and maybe next time I can be a little better with the small talk. Baby steps though, baby steps.
Anyway - I left my old job behind me on Friday - which I thought would be much easier. Throughout the day people popped by and wished me good luck. I smiled and politely said thanks etc etc. Then however came the time when the team I sit the closest to began to leave - I broke down. These people are salt of the earth. Some of the nicest people I will ever meet. I had no time to fight the tears befor they hit surface. There they were - for everyone to see. Big hugs - more tears - and promises to keep in touch. Yeesh! When I thought it couldn't get any worse - my Director came out, with a balloon and gift in tow. (lucky for me - I was not empty handed - I had a flowering plant and card for her too!) At first it was awkward. There was a silence - and then we both locked eyes and our tears both hit us at the same time - we hugged and we cried. It was soooooo hard and as I sit here writing this - I'm in tears - and I know I'm going to miss her. She is a wonderful boss, and person. She whispered to me "anytime you want to come back - you pick up the phone and call me." I know I'm leaving on good terms - but it was time for me to make a move and put some bad stuff behind me, get some experience with a national corporation and broaden my horizens a little. I think I had become too complacent and that's never a good thing. So - on Wednesday of this coming week - so begins a new chapter.....

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Good luck with your recovery. I am glad that you are not in too much pain!! You will be back on the road in no time!!