Friday, August 31, 2007

SAVE & Other Happenings


This has been a busy week and somewhat exciting week. I have an opportunity (fingers crossed) to begin a new career at a new company. I currently work at an insurance company in the twin cities. Since a year ago however, I've lost a lot of drive and ambition which is not simply how I NORMALLY am. The situation I was in was not ideal by any means and simply put, I was not going to get any help from my boss. I realized there are many people out there willing to take advantage of you. If you have a strong work ethic - all I have to say is "watch out!" There will be someone waiting to let you do their work for them and then take all the credit. For the sake that someone from my work might "happen" their way to this post. That's all I've got to say about my experience.
I was fortunate enough to gain a new position internally but the whole entire fiasco (with my boss and with the company HR Dept) left an awful taste in my mouth.....and I guess maybe it's just time to move on. While I love my new boss - I don't feel very good about where I work and I kinda think that's important.
So this week, I got a call from a friend asking me if I'd be interested in making a move. Are you crazy! Uhm - Yeah! I had previously interviewed for this company in the spring but had been nervous about the amount of travel they didn't tell me about. It's one of those things were you ask how much travel is actually involved - and they respond with a question - "how much do you think is too much?" Yeah - I made a bee-line towards the door. Tstorms is really a creature of habit - and triathlon training becomes kinda hard when you're traveling all the time. Needless to say I passed on the position.
This new position is perfect and right up my alley - so I'm waiting to hear back from the recruiter. I'm nervous and excited.
I've been working out since my return from Lake Placid - although I've not ridden my bike since my return and tonight was my second 30 minute run. I've swam a few times, once in the pool and a few times in Bush Lake (my favorite until recently - but more to come on that!) Mainly I've been focusing my attention to lifting free weights, which was my first love prior to triathlon. I miss it tremendously and it's felt nice to get back in and focus on the muscle and not really have to worry about squeezing in a 45 minute swim, 60 minute bike or 90 minute run on top of that. I've forgotten some of the old favorites - so I've even busted out Mark's book, The new Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, by Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's a welcome change.
Last night, Mark & I attended a benefit to raise money for Taconite Boy's Janus Charity Fund Benefit for Ironman Wisconsin next weekend. Tac's benefit is SAVE and their mission is "prevent suicide through public awareness and education, eliminate stigma and serve as a resource to those touched by suicide. The picture above is from the benefit. Mark is on the left and Tac is on the right. It was a gorgeous night and we had a lot of fun. Here is one of the tables set up with wines, cheeses etc. (Did I mention it was a wine tasting?) The other is Trimama with Mark guzzling down the leftovers! Tac boy raised $1,000 dollars last night, but he still has almost another $1,000 to reach his goal.
Did You Know
•More people die from suicide than from homicide.
•Suicide rates among the elderly are highest for those who are divorced or widowed.
•For young people 15-24 years old, suicide is the third leading cause of death.
•80% of people that seek treatment for depression are treated successfully.

If you or someone you love has been affected by Suicide, please consider donating to this worthy cause. You can donate by going to his blog and looking for the Janus Charity Callenge link.

So - about my favorite place to swim - Bush Lake. While talking about training with Tac Boy last night- he asked me if I knew about the beach closing - of which I replied, "NO????" To make a long story short - apparently there have been too many birds on the beach if you know what I mean - therefore they had to close the beach due to ecoli. Since Tac Boy, Trimama, Sir Kraut and I have been swimming there up until recently, it sort of gives me the willies. And it was SO CLEAN up until I left for LP. I shudder to think how much poop it takes to close a beach......Ick....

It's hard to think that tomorrow is September 1st. This weekend - there are projects to be completed. Well, one for sure - cleaning and staining the deck. Yuck.

We also have Gopher Football season beginning tomorrow against Bowling Green. Mark is an avid Gopher fan, whilst I am an avid Badger Fan. (having grown up in Wisconsin - my allegiance is still Red/White!) I do however wear Gopher colors with the exception of when they play Wisco!

Sunday - I'm joining my fellow P2 teammates for what may be my last official run of the season with my team before surgery. Can't wait to see coach and everyone. It's been awhile!

Monday - some of my Gear West team mates are having an end of the season triathlon - Lake Minnewashta style. You can show up for the swim and swim as little or as much as you like - followed by T1; bagels, o.j., muffins, gatorade - whatever. Maybe - an hour or so later the bike - again you can bike as little or as much as you like - followed by T2. Perhaps you care for a few bagels, or perhaps you might crack open a beer.....I think you get the picture.

I hope everyone will be enjoying their weekend with family & friends and enjoying the "working man's holiday" weekend.

Be safe!

2 comments:

Jumper 2.0 said...

Hey T-Storms,

Thanks for the update and Good Luck with the new job!

Isn't the facts about suicide distressing? I actually know a little about it regarding the elderly when I was working toward a Master's degree (I really should finish that one day). I did donate to Tac's fund. Definitely a worthy cause.

I am not from Mn, so I don't get distressed about Mn sports but lets not talk about the Gophers anyway. I really do like the new coach but that doesn't necessarily transfer to wins.

I may meet you soon. I will be at the end of season triathlon tomorrow and I am also volunteering at Madison.

bigmike600 said...

Hey
Thanks for taking the time to come over and introduce yourself to my wife and I. It was nice. Maybe we will see you tomorrow somewhere on the course after you are done stripping.
Once again, thanks. It was great to meet you.